- 1-2 hours before bed, turn off all blue light-emitting devices. Melatonin regulates your sleep, and blue light from your electronic devices suppresses melatonin production.
- Charge your phone in another room to avoid the temptation to check it at night.
- Stop eating a few hours before bedtime. Digestion can interrupt sleep.
- Take an after-dinner walk.
- Use lavender oil (relaxes you for sleep) or lemon balm oil (reduces restlessness and anxiety) in a warm bath or diffuser.
- Buy a supportive mattress and a comfortable pillow/sheets.
- Keep your bedroom temperature cool.
- Buy blackout curtains for your windows.
- Keep your room environment quiet. A white noise or pink noise generator can help.
- Do a breathing exercise/meditation to help calm your thoughts.
- Reduce your caffeine intake, especially after 12:00 p.m.
- Get outside in the morning to expose yourself to the morning light. Morning light increases quality sleep and lowers feelings of stress.
- Exercise. Exercising could decrease the time it takes to fall asleep and help with your sleep quality.
- Take valerian and melatonin (but only occasionally).
Check out the 2-minute video with these tips from Dr. Weil.
Which sleep tip(s) are you already using?