Fun Fact: Of all of the spices, cloves received the highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) Score. (In other words, it is the highest in antioxidants.)
Fun Fact II: The antioxidants in cloves eliminate free radicals, which prevents cancer.
Helps the following conditions:
- muscle pain
- intestinal parasites, fungi, and bacteria
- toothaches (anesthetic benefits from eugenol)
- gum pain (anesthetic benefits from eugenol)
- sore throats (anesthetic benefits from eugenol)
- antioxidant flavonoids
- vitamin C
- omega-3 fatty acids
- You can get whole cloves. Use a mortar and pestle to grind them.
- Whole cloves have a stronger flavor than pre-ground cloves.
- Press on the whole cloves with a fingernail to make sure oil comes out. This signals quality and freshness.
- Store whole cloves in a tightly sealed glass container. Keep them in a cool, dry, dark place. They’ll last up to a year.
- Ground cloves will last for 6 months if you keep them in the same conditions as the whole cloves above.
- Cloves can cause allergic reactions.
- People with liver or kidney disorders who’ve had seizures shouldn’t eat cloves.
- Cloves can increase the risk of bleeding.
- Cloves can burn the mouth/skin.
- Clove tea can have the effect giving digestive discomfort. At first, have it at most every few days.
- A clove tea recipe is below.
Could allspice relieve pain?