Antidote to Depression?
Fun Fact: The scientific name of the chocolate plant is theobroma. The name translates to “food of the gods.”
Fun Fact II: Chocolate originated in Mesoamerican civilizations. The Maya society was the first to create chocolate.
Fun Fact III: Maya couples drank hot chocolate on occasions of engagement and marriage because of its aphrodisiac properties.
- Cacao is a major source of magnesium.
- Magnesium is a cofactor in more than 300 reactions in the body.
What does magnesium do in the body?
- DNA replication and repair
- controlling inflammation
- vitamin D synthesis
The following conditions can be helped by having magnesium:
- heart attacks
- high blood pressure
- kidney stones
- menstrual cramping
- blood clotting
- free radical damage
Other sources of magnesium:
- leafy green vegetables
- collard greens
- bok choy
- Swiss Chard
- nuts and seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- 89% people taking magnesium (mean age of 52) for 6 weeks showed clinically significant improvement in measures of depression and anxiety symptoms.
- improvements in anxiety and sleep within 1 week
- Don’t eat the raw cacao powder right before bed because it’s powerful.
- cocoa recipe: mix hot almond milk, cacao, vanilla extract, cinnamon, maple syrup, 1 tsp. coconut oil
- The Maya hot chocolate recipe is in one of the links below.
Eat ginger to help with migraines, and more!